Sunday, January 2, 2011

My Not So Ordinary Life

As we are beginning a new year I have been thinking a lot about the events of the previous year. I have had some great times, and some less than ideal times. I have had many adventures and many dull moments of simple routine (which is not always bad). I have looked at others and seen the things, adventures, and luxuries they have, at times, wondered if I was at a point in my life where I wanted to be. I have never doubted any of my life choices, but simply wondered if I had taken enough risk, or done enough to achieve my goals in life, or have I done only the minimum to get by. I will admit that most of these considerings have been in the last couple of weeks, since school got out for Christmas vacation.

Over the last couple of weeks I have been what some people might call pathetic or lame. I have been informing myself on the lives of others through such media as Blogs and Facebook. (AKA Blog stocking and Facebook Stalking.) As I perused the various blogs of friends and family I have had a feeling that my life was somewhat boring. I have not traveled the globe, climbed distant mountains, run with wild animals, or had my debut on TV or the "Big Screen". My life, with exception to funerals and illness, is quite predictable. I have never been consumed by these thoughts but every so often they creep into my mind in those moments of silence early in the morning when it is my turn to get up and take care of Hayden. I try not to entertain these ideas, but once in a while wonder how green the grass is on the other side.

Today was one such morning. I was wondering what I might have missed in my pursuit of happiness. I was holding a crying child while both of us were covered in "Spit Up". I was tired and wanted to sleep. As I rocked him back to sleep I thought about the adventurous lives of a few people I know. As I thought about them I will admit I was a little jealous. I have always wanted to travel and live in a foreign place. I was taken back to the adventures of my mission. In the middle of the stroll down memory lane I was awaken to the soft cooing of a bright eyed little boy. I was quickly brought back to reality and realized I may not have a life of glamor and glitz, but I have the best life I could ask for. I thought of one of my favorite quotes from a movie. Steve Martin is asked why he is giving up his dreams. He simply says "I'm not giving up my dream, I am just going with a different one." I don't feel as though I am being asked to choose between dreams, or to give anything up. I feel like I am the luckiest man in the world. I have a beautiful wife. I have a four month old son that is full of life. I sometimes want to be mad when I am spit up on or I am trying to calm him down, but as soon as he smiles he melts my heart. I couldn't be mad if I tried. I have a warm house and a great job. Even though my life isn't what the world would call perfect, I would. There isn't enough money or fame in the world to make me trade what I have. Who knows maybe my turn to run with the animals is just around the corner. And I guess I can say that grass is green enough in my own front yard.

If you ever find yourself pondering on these same things consider the following: "If the grass is greener in the other side, water your own grass."

2 comments:

Taylor Family said...

Wow David! You're good at blogging. I think we romanticize what we think others lives must be like, but they have their own problems that I'm sure we aren't aware of and would never want. Lack of sleep, smelly spit, low-paying jobs,etc. aside, I think we're all doing pretty well for ourselves.

Taylor Family said...

Make that spit-up, not spit, though I guess smelly spit is it's own problem.